FileCatalyst Workflow: Features
Below are some of the key features for both end users and IT administrators. Click on individual items to expand them and learn more.
Features for End-User
A primary purpose of FileCatalyst Workflow is to allow external users to submit
files and details to your organization, where they can then be properly processed
and tracked as they progress through your workflow. A simple modification to the
form also enables distribution to anybody with an email address.
Read More →
Users may send files of any size to anybody with an email address. This workflow provides
similar functionality to other “Send Large Files” services, but uses your
organization's private and secure infrastructure. Distribution is easily combined
with submission for situations also requiring centralized processing.
Read More →
Similar to popular web-based file storage and send services, registered users
can have their own file storage folder which is accessed through the web
interface. For further collaboration and sharing, group folders can also be
configured. This “file area” may be accessed through any of
our clients, including the web application itself, the HotFolder and Express
desktop applications, and even the Command-Line or API.
Read More →
Every feature of FileCatalyst Workflow can be used via the web application. End-users don't need to download or install any software on their machines; any recent web browser and an internet connection is all that's required. This also eliminates any network issues which frequently arise when using FTP, such as firewall or proxy servers blocking the data transfers. This web-based interface can be easily customized to match any corporate look and feel.
Streamlined Multiple File Selection
Unlike other web-based file transfer tools, there is no need to select each file individually for a new transfer. Use familiar CTRL (or CMD) and SHIFT keys to select blocks of files, or select entire folders to include their contents. The folder structure is maintained and recreated on the recipient's side.
HotFolder is a desktop application that allows you to set up automated tasks of any level of complexity. Once configured, the user simply puts new files into a watched (“hot”) folder. The application takes care of the rest. HotFolder can be used to automatically submit files into your organization's workflow, or to upload and download from one or more File Areas.
Reliable Delivery is accomplished in a number of ways:
- With automatic fail over from UDP* to FTP to HTTP, FileCatalyst Workflow stubbornly delivers files through the strictest firewalls.
- With FileCatalyst acceleration enabled, files are sent through the harshest network conditions at speeds 100X faster (or more) than FTP.
- Retry and Resume faculties ensure that if a connection is dropped, the entire transfer does not need to be started from scratch.
- Checksums (at either the block or file level) for upload and download tasks verify that data has arrived intact.
* UDP requires the optional FileCatalyst acceleration add-on
Submission Tracking and History
As soon as a user has successfully submitted a file, the “job” starts developing a history. Administrators can flag the job with different statuses as it moves through the organization's workflow. This history is available to administrators and also end-users. Additionally, a number of reports may be generated on the administrative side with transactional details.
Features for IT Administrators
Simple Web based Administration
FileCatalyst Workflow administration console is completely web based. There is no need to remember complicated FTP paths or strange Unix commands.
Fine-Grained User and Group Permissions
FileCatalyst Workflow supports multiple levels of Administration accounts. For example, first level support staff may be allowed to do only basic account management while higher level support personnel can have more privileges. There is also a Super Administrator that can have full access to configure and manage the system. IT administrators can also give specific privileges to user accounts and/or groups.
Automated User Management
An expanding selection of automatic management features relieve the burden of micro-administration. Here are a few:
- Auto-provisioning via Open LDAP and Active Directory.
- Mirroring FileCatalyst Workflow users to add-on FileCatalyst Direct Servers
- Temporary accounts can be automatically created when registered users invite others
- Accounts can be set to expire automatically; applies also to temporary user-created accounts
- Automatic deletion of expired accounts
Realtime Tracking and Audit Trail
Administrators can track user activity in real time. Every transaction in FileCatalyst Workflow leaves an audit trail that can be tracked as far back as the IP address used by the user to access the system. Also reports can be generated for most active users, most popular file extensions, etc.
IP-based User Permissions
Administrators can configure a set of rules to limit users based on their IP address.
Example: All users coming from outside the corporate network will only be allowed to send files to email addresses within the corporation.
Example: All "anonymous" users are only allowed to send files to a single email address within the corporation.
These rules can virtually eliminate any possibility of system abuse, while not restricting regular operation to legitimate business users.
Automatic File Deletion
File retention has been fully automated in FileCatalyst Workflow. There is no need to periodically login and delete expired files. The retention period can be easily set up via the web console. The system also has an option for a staged deletion, where files are first moved to a recycle bin folder before being completely deleted from the server.
The web application may be served over HTTPS, allowing you to secure communications with your own SSL certificate. During file transfer, the authentication and command channel may also be encrypted with SSL, while the data channel has optional AES encryption, up to 2048 bits. The included security features will help your organization to meet mandates such as SOX, GLBA, and HIPAA.
FileCatalyst Workflow's software-only approach allows IT administrators to download and install the system in less than 30 minutes. FileCatalyst Workflow is platform-independent, and can be deployed Windows, Unix, Linux, Solaris, OSX, AIX, or virtually any other platform that has an official Sun Java runtime.
The appearance of the web application can be modified with HTML and CSS to match your corporate site. Information collected during file submission/job creation relies on customizable forms: you can capture information with any number of text fields, drop-downs, or checkboxes.
The behaviour of the applets and pages during the job creation process can also be modified, along with messaging and language in email notifications and throughout the site. Customizability means you can produce exactly the experience you want your end users to have.
- Multi-core CPU with 2.5Ghz+ per core
- 4GB+ RAM
- 80 GB of disk space
- Operating system: Windows 2003 or higher, Unix, Linux, Solaris, OSX, AIX 5.3 or higher.
- Architecture: 64-bit recommended
- Tomcat 6.0.x (Tomcat 7.x currently not supported); other containers such as WebSphere and JBoss are supported.
- Access to SMTP (Outgoing mail server)
- Oracle Java SE 6 or higher (64-bit recommended; OpenJDK not recommended)
- Internet connectivity: Sub-domain or dedicated IP with proper firewall rules
- Recent web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera or Chrome
- Email account to receive emails (for recipient only).
- Java Runtime Environment 6 (JRE) or later
- Broadband Internet connection