Other File Transfer Issues
Many organizations choose FileCatalyst to solve the problem of slow FTP, but speed is not the only issue related to file transfer. Here are some common reasons to move from FTP/HTTP to a better alternative.
Anyone who regularly transfers large files over FTP or HTTP can tell you about the anxiety they face each time. Will the transfer fail out after several hours? If the connection is dropped, will the transfer resume properly? How many attempts will it take before the file arrives intact? FileCatalyst dramatically improves reliability:
- On-the-fly or per-file verification using MD5 checksums
- Configurable retry and resume options to pick up transfers after losing network connectivity.
- User-definable socket timeouts to accommodate extremely poor network conditions.
- Efficient re-sending of dropped packets—and only the exact packets being dropped.
- Server-driven alerts to notify stakeholders of successful, failed, or canceled transfers, keeping them in the loop in the rare event that manual intervention is required.
Although FTP and HTTP have security options, these are not always enough for security-minded organizations. FileCatalyst offers a number of security features. In terms of encryption levels and authentication methods, a FileCatalyst solution is a perfect fit for organizations looking to meet mandates such as SOX, HIPPA, and GLB.
- Encrypted with industry standards: SSL for control channel and AES for data
- Brute force attack protection
- Filter by IP address for either inclusion or exclusion
- MonitoringAgent advises administrators about suspected threats
- Authenticate via LDAP(S), Active Directory (AD, ADS), or database
- Ban IPs or block accounts in real time
- Use HTTP tunneling as a Gatekeeper.
Tracking and Auditing
Using the FileCatalyst Webmail and FileCatalyst Workflow products, every transaction in and out of the system is tracked at a global and user account level. In FileCatalyst Webmail, this means an ongoing record of when files are sent and received. In FileCatalyst Workflow, tracking extends to custom statuses based on the file's progress through your organization's workflow.
FileCatalyst Server also provides a way to pull reports of transactional data into preconfigured graphs, or CSV files to use with your own tools. These reports are available from a FileCatalyst Server used within any product in the FileCatalyst family.
Delivery and Email
FTP and HTTP lack sophisticated ways to easily share files with arbitrary individuals or groups. Email is easy to use for this purpose: just select recipients and attach files. However, attachment sizes are very limited and delivery tracking is absent. FileCatalyst Webmail solves these problems by providing a system that uses email to its best advantage, letting you send files of any size to anyone with an email address. Moreover, the entire history of delivery and receipt is tracked.